Popular Posts

Sunday, July 26, 2009

10baseT Crossed cable (PC to PC or HUB to HUB)

Crossed cables are used to connect PCs to one other PC or to connect a HUB to a HUB. Crossed cables are sometimes called Crossover, Patch or Jumper cables. If your connection is PC to HUB you MUST use a Straight cable.

The following description shows the wiring at both ends (male RJ45 connectors) of the crossed cable.

One end
RJ45 Male
Other end
RJ45 Male
1 3
2 6
3 1
4 * 5 *
5 * 4 *
6 2
7 * 8 *
8 * 7 *


  1. Items marked * are not necessary for 10M LANs but since you will be moving shortly to 100MB LANs (won't you) you will save yourself a LOT OF TIME finding crappy cable (that you made) that does not work. Instead we suggest you wire to 100BaseT standards.
  2. We use RED for crossed cables (or more commonly now a red heat-shrink collar at each end).
  3. All our crossed wiring is done to the 100base-T4 spec which you can use with 10baseT networks - but NOT always the other way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment