Now on vista users call the partition as volume. It is so called in vista so try to change to use the word volume instead of partition.Here itself i change the word partition to volume.
- Open start menu and you can either type “diskmgmt.msc” at Run or search for it by typing in the search box and click on the result containing diskmgmt.msc. This is the first step towards creation of volume in windows vista.
- When you type “diskmgmt.msc”, this will open Disk Management Utility. Here you will find the present volume names with their parameters like File system, Capacity, Free space, Percentage free space and many. Try it and you will know.
- Make a right click on the hard drive volume on which you have to perform partition and select Shrink volume. This will query the windows and opens a dialogue box where you will get details like Total size before shrink in MB, size of available shrink space available, The amount of space to shrink in MB (You have to enter the number in MB) i.e, Enter amount of space you want to allocate for your new volume, Total size of disk after shrink. The metric for all of these is MB ( Mega Bytes not Mega Bits ). If you have entered the size of new volume, Click on shrink.
- After the process of shrinking is completed your eye will catch a new unallocated volume at the disk management window. you are now few more steps ahead to complete creation of your new volume. This include Renaming the Volume, file system type and atlast formating the new volume (Quick format).
- Make a right click on new volume and select “New Simple volume”. Now create a name for your new volume and move to next step by clicking on NEXT.
- Don’t change any thing, Only one thing you can change. If you want the contents in the new partition as they are uncheck “perform a quick format” and move to next steps by clicking on NEXT.
- Then Click FINISh and now you are completed and your new volume Disk Management graph’s are displayed.
Expecting readers view for any alternate to do such kind of job.